Compensation and Benefits Manager
Vancouver, WA or Inglewood, CA
InterDent was founded over 30 years ago by a group of dentists who realized that they could provide better patient care if they partnered with functional experts to manage the administrative and business aspects of a practice.
Today, under the brands Gentle Dental and Smile Keepers, our dental service organization (DSO) provides business support to over 200 practices in eight states including Arizona, California, Hawaii, Kansas, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon and Washington.
InterDent is based out of Inglewood, CA with a second office in Vancouver, WA and backed by the private equity firm H.I.G.
The Compensation and Benefits Manager is responsible for managing all benefit programs, employee leaves (LOA), and retirement (401k, Deferred Comp) programs of the company. This position is responsible for the design, development, implementation, administration and assessment of these programs.
The Comp and Ben Manager recommends and embraces best practices, surveys the industry to determine competitive positioning and is responsible for introducing innovative and efficient process improvements.
As a Manager leading a team of 2, this position is responsible for leading these resources and coordinating activities with other HR functional areas to assure data integrity, timeliness, and ease of access to needed information by management and employees.
The ideal candidate can operate in our current state of manual workflows and processes in the short term while leading with vision, strategy, and communication to enhance and streamline multiple deliverables.
- Provides day-to-day oversight of medical and retirement plans within the benefits strategy, policy and framework.
- Makes certain that changes to benefit programs incorporate the company’s strategic objectives, satisfy legal requirements, and achieve a balance between market practice, employee needs, and the company’s ability to fund such programs.
- Manages and communicates benefit, retirement and wellness programs, ensure statutory compliance with FMLA, ADA, COBRA, ERISA, OSHA, and HIPAA, oversee annual filings and audits as well as administer LOA programs.
- Ensures medical and retirement plans are administered in accordance with plan, IRS, and ERISA rules. Ensures compliance including government filings and required participant disclosures.
- Leads the annual enrollment and other functional communication initiatives.
- Researches market competitive practices, recommends new programs or enhancements based on cost/benefit analyses, benchmarking, and alignment with the company's strategic direction.
- Works to understand and benchmark market practices in order to maintain competitive plans.
- Prepares management reporting.
- Develops and delivers compensation planning training.
- Provides guidance to planning managers regarding compensation and salary administration.
- Keeps apprised of federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations in order to ensure company compliance.
- Educates supervisors and managers on all compensation issues and recommends appropriate resolutions.
Experience / Education:
- Strong knowledge of benefits compliance and reporting requirements, enrollment processes and plan administration with corporate benefits experience strongly desired.
- Excellent communications with the ability influence and negotiate with individuals at all levels.
- Cross-functional collaboration skills with the ability to work well with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels.
- Strong planning and project management skills with the ability to work well under deadlines in a changing environment and perform multiple tasks effectively and concurrently.
- Ability to develop and implement programs required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain relationships with both internal and external customers as well as with strong vendor management skills.
- 5+ years total related Compensation and Benefits experience in a progressive HR and business environment.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience.
- Expert knowledge of benefit and retirement programs including project management, enrollment, vendor management, auditing, filings, and training, education, and communication.
- CBP (Certified Benefits Professional) designation desirable.
- Background in basic compensation design and development.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word); to include advanced MS Excel skills (Pivot-Tables, VLookUps, MACROs, etc.).